Since 1924 St. Catherine’s monastery has been the home for the museums of Stralsund. The Museum of Cultural History in Stralsund was founded as a museum for the province of Neuvorpommern and the isle of Rügen already in 1858 and one year later opened to the public. It is the oldest museum of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The first public exhibition galleries were located in the Town Hall. When, in 1924 the first treasures of the museum moved to the monastery St. Catherine, such spacious exhibition halls as the museum possesses today could only be dreamt of. The basis for the collection, today so manifold and extensive, was the art collection of the Swedish Governor General stationed in Stralsund, Axel Count of Löwen. He dedicated his collection to the town in 1770.
Class: [ C ] Baltic Sea Region Cultural Heritage Properties
Subclass: Monuments and sites